Havana - Day Trip

Visiting Havana, Matanzas City, or Trinidad City will complete your Cuban vacation.
James

Havana - Day Trip

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm

One of my main reasons for going to Varadero this trip, was to see Havana for the first time. I wanted to experience Havana before it's (eventually) flooded with American tourists. I'm sure Havana (and Cuba) will always retain it's charm, but I didn't want to take any chances! :D

Varadero is close enough for a Day Trip into Havana. There are options to hire a taxi or personal driver/guide, but we chose to take a tour bus and simply booked it at our hotel. This was our first time venturing off the resort and I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to take a cab.

Bus or Taxi.JPG
Bus or Taxi.JPG (238.31 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

The tour is fairly relaxed and the tour guides are great. Here are some of the stops in Havana:

1) Old Fort

Old Fort.JPG
Old Fort.JPG (128.46 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Old Fort Outside.JPG
Old Fort Outside.JPG (192.28 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Old Fort Inside.JPG
Old Fort Inside.JPG (235.82 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

2) Plaza de la Revolución

This is a big open square with monuments and buildings devoted to various revolutionaries, like "Che."

Plaza.JPG
Plaza.JPG (186.62 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Coco Taxi.JPG
Coco Taxi.JPG (230.75 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Old Cars.JPG
Old Cars.JPG (239.04 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

3) Colón Cemetery

I wasn't sure what to expect going to a grave yard, but it was fascinating to see the old statues, mausoleums, crypts, and tombs.

Colon Cemetery.JPG
Colon Cemetery.JPG (163.25 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

4) Old Havana

This was my favourite part of the trip. I could've spent all day here. It felt like I was in some old European city full of culture and character.

Old Havana 4.JPG
Old Havana 4.JPG (187.06 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Old Havana 3.JPG
Old Havana 3.JPG (232.24 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Old Havana 2.JPG
Old Havana 2.JPG (206.32 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Old Havana 1.JPG
Old Havana 1.JPG (212.99 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

We took a few hours to walk around Old Havana and visit a museum if you wanted to (I rather enjoyed it). There was also a stop at a local restaurant downtown, which was nice to experience.

If you're in Cuba, make Havana one of your stops. It's a unique experience you won't forget.

(Oh, and bring along $1 for every time you want to use a washroom. Having your own toilet paper isn't a bad idea either) :roll:

Return to “Day Trips: Explore Cuba”