Havana - Day Trip

Visiting Havana, Matanzas City, or Trinidad City will complete your Cuban vacation.
James

Havana - Day Trip

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm

One of my main reasons for going to Varadero this trip, was to see Havana for the first time. I wanted to experience Havana before it's (eventually) flooded with American tourists. I'm sure Havana (and Cuba) will always retain it's charm, but I didn't want to take any chances! :D

Varadero is close enough for a Day Trip into Havana. There are options to hire a taxi or personal driver/guide, but we chose to take a tour bus and simply booked it at our hotel. This was our first time venturing off the resort and I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to take a cab.

Bus or Taxi.JPG

The tour is fairly relaxed and the tour guides are great. Here are some of the stops in Havana:

1) Old Fort

Old Fort.JPG
Old Fort Outside.JPG
Old Fort Inside.JPG

2) Plaza de la Revolución

This is a big open square with monuments and buildings devoted to various revolutionaries, like "Che."

Plaza.JPG
Coco Taxi.JPG
Old Cars.JPG

3) Colón Cemetery

I wasn't sure what to expect going to a grave yard, but it was fascinating to see the old statues, mausoleums, crypts, and tombs.

Colon Cemetery.JPG

4) Old Havana

This was my favourite part of the trip. I could've spent all day here. It felt like I was in some old European city full of culture and character.

Old Havana 4.JPG
Old Havana 3.JPG
Old Havana 2.JPG
Old Havana 1.JPG

We took a few hours to walk around Old Havana and visit a museum if you wanted to (I rather enjoyed it). There was also a stop at a local restaurant downtown, which was nice to experience.

If you're in Cuba, make Havana one of your stops. It's a unique experience you won't forget.

(Oh, and bring along $1 for every time you want to use a washroom. Having your own toilet paper isn't a bad idea either) :roll:

Return to “Day Trips: Explore Cuba”